As the two elite managers prepare to meet in the upcoming UCL Final. We have a look at their past track record in finals.
Published By: Dalipinder Singh Sandhu (Bliss)
The finest teams in Europe have been filtered and the two strongest contestants who battled out their way into the UCL Final are Real Madrid and Liverpool. While there has been a lot of discussion over the two teams and the star players such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Mohammed Salah.
We now have a look at the two managers who will be facing each other for the first time ever. The match will be interesting one which is needless to be said as Zidane is the only manager ever who has never been knocked out of Champions League. On the other hand, Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool has scored the most number of goals in the campaign so far: 40 goals in 12 games.
The German coach started his managerial career in 2001 from a humble club in Germany Mainz. He worked there for 7 years and earned them a promotion to the top flight league Bundesliga. He later joined Borussia Dortmund in 2008 and reconstructed the club and left them far well off than they were when he arrived. The 50-year-old now manages the English club, Liverpool which he joined in 2015. He hasn’t tasted much success in Finals but has an elite reputation of beating stronger sides. His record in finals is as follows:
Finals – 6
Won – 1
Lost – 5
- German Cup Final 2012, Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munchen (Klopp’s Dortmund won 5-2)
- UCL Final 2013, Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munchen (Klopp’s Dortmund lost 2-1)
- German Cup Final 2014, Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munchen (Klopp’s Dortmund lost 2-0)
- German Cup Final 2015, Borussia Dortmund vs Wolfsburg (Klopp’s Dortmund lost 3-1)
- League Cup Final 2016, Liverpool vs Manchester City (Klopp’s Liverpool lost on penalties)
- Europa League Final 2016, Liverpool vs Sevilla (Klopp’s Liverpool lost 3-1)
The French manager has been ridiculed for having a golden hand. The 45-year-old is on a run of turning every final into success. Though he started his managerial career in mid-season of 2016 as Rafael Benitez was sacked by Madrid for drifting the club into crisis. Zinedine Zidane stepped up and turned the hopeless season into massive success and ever since he’s continued to bring silverware to Santiago Bernabeu. His record is as follows.
Finals – 7
Won – 7
Lost – 0
- UEFA Champions League 2016, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid (Zidane’s Madrid won on penalties)
- UEFA Super Cup 2016, Real Madrid vs Sevilla (Zidane’s Madrid won 3-2)
- FIFA Club World Cup 2016, Real Madrid vs Kashima Antlers (Zidane’s Madrid won 4-2)
- UEFA Champions League 2017, Real Madrid vs Juventus (Zidane’s Madrid won 4-1)
- UEFA Super Cup 2017, Real Madrid vs Manchester United (Zidane’s Madrid won 2-1)
- Spanish Super Cup 2017, Real Madrid vs Barcelona (Zidane’s Madrid won 5-1 on agg.)
- FIFA Club World Cup 2017, Real Madrid vs Gremio (Zidane’s Madrid won 1-0)
Nevermind what the record says, football can be very unpredictable and that is why it is the beautiful game.
The UCL Final will be played in Kiev, Ukraine on 26 May 2018 at 7:45 PM CET. The match will be telecasted globally by the official broadcasting partners of UEFA.